Portfolios for membership are reviewed on the first Saturday of the month (unless indicated otherwise. Dates are below)..
Soho Photo welcomes artists with a passion for photography, a clear and meaningful photographic vision, an appreciation for the craft, and a willingness to participate in the operation of the gallery. We’re open to new ideas – some of our members strive to re-imagine the meaning, value, and boundaries of photography, others to perfect a particular thread or technique.
Working in a collective gives you the freedom to take risks, achieve your photographic vision and exhibit your work on the walls of a New York City photography gallery. You’ll also get access to a packed calendar of lectures, workshops, and other events, including monthly working lunches and salons, where members share work in progress. Most of our programs are on Zoom, allowing non-local members to participate fully in the life of the gallery.
Before you apply for membership, we suggest that you come to the gallery and talk to us. The gallery is open Wednesday – Sunday, 1:00 – 6:00 pm. Stop by and speak to one of our members or contact our Membership Chair, Linda Hacker, using the form below.
Full Membership – Benefits & Responsibilities
Membership at Soho Photo Gallery offers these benefits to serious photographers:
- An affiliation with New York City’s longest operating photography gallery
- Exhibit your work at the gallery throughout the year both via solo and group shows (traditional prints/video)
- Your approved exhibitions are displayed and archived on the Soho Photo website
- Show images also appear on Artsy and includes e-commerce
- Members receive 100% of revenue on image sales
- Inclusion in social media and email announcements
- Participation in member-only events (at the gallery and on Zoom)
- @sohophoto.com email address
- A chance to get involved with with the operation of the gallery, take on a project and give back
- The opportunity to hang with a cohort of 100 accomplished photographers, step up your game, and improve your skills and vision as a photographer!
We’re a volunteer-run gallery. Membership requires your participation in managing your shows and pitching in to help run the gallery. Responsibilities include:
- Arranging for the transport of your work to and from the gallery
- Framing, hanging, and removing your show
- Sitting, or arranging for sitting in order to keep the gallery open, especially during your exhibition
- Participating in one or more gallery committees/groups (e.g. Member Recruitment, Competitions, Fundraising). Some functions can be conducted remotely.
Plus one-time US$200.00 building fee
Young Artist Membership
US$250.00/year (35 years of age or younger)
Plus a one-time US$200.00 building fee
For those who find the cost of membership dues challenging, a limited number of stipends for a reduced membership fee are available. If you are interested, please contact Linda Hacker using the form below for more information.
Soho Photo also offers an Associate Membership level. Like full membership, this is for photographers who have a passion for photography, a meaningful photographic vision, have mastered at least basic photographic skills, and have a willingness to participate in the operation of the gallery,. Associate members, however, still need some guidance either with editing, sequencing or presenting their work. The ultimate goal is to help Associates perfect their skills so they can obtain Full Membership.
An associate is assigned two mentors that meet with them once or twice a month, which includes the monthly Salon, to discuss and advise them on creative issues.
Associates are encouraged to participate in all voting opportunities, such as the Steering Committee Meetings and PRC. They can also participate in group shows. However he/she cannot have a solo show until a new or revised portfolio is presented that earns them Full Membership.
The dues for an Associate are $375 annually for photographers aged 36 and older and $175 annually for those aged 35 and younger.
Payment of fees are due upon acceptance to Soho Photo Gallery.
2023 Portfolio Review Dates
January 7, 2023
February 4, 2023
March 4, 2023
April 1, 2023
May 13, 2023
June 3, 2023
July 1, 2023
August 12, 2023
Sept 9, 2023
October 7, 2023
November 4, 2023
December 2, 2023
The Application Process
The Portfolio Submission page details what should be in your portfolio, your artist statement and entry fee.
Portfolios are reviewed by gallery members starting at 10:00 am on the first Saturday of every month. Please have your portfolio in the gallery before 10:00 am.
Along with your portfolio submission, Soho Photo Gallery requires a US$50.00 non-refundable application fee. If approved for membership, the application fee will be credited towards your first year’s dues.
Once you determined which date you plan to submit your portfolio, please notify Linda Hacker using the contact form below.