Portfolios for membership are reviewed on the first Saturday of the month.
Soho Photo welcomes artists with a passion for photography, a clear and meaningful photographic vision, an appreciation for the craft, and a willingness to participate in the operation of the gallery. We’re open to new ideas – some of our members strive to re-imagine the meaning, value, and boundaries of photography, others to perfect a particular thread or technique.
Before you apply for membership, we suggest that you come to the gallery and talk with our members. The gallery is open Wednesday – Sunday, 1:00 – 6:00 pm. Stop by and speak to one of our members or contact our Membership Chair, Linda Hacker, using the form below.
Membership – Benefits & Responsibilities
Membership at Soho Photo Gallery offers these benefits to serious photographers:
- An affiliation with New York City’s longest operation photography gallery
- Exhibit your work at the gallery throughout the year both via solo and group shows (traditional prints/video)
- Your approved exhibitions are displayed and archived on the Soho Photo website
- Show images also appear on Artsy and includes e-commerce
- Members receive 100% of revenue on image sales
- Inclusion in social media and email announcements
- Participation in member-only events
- @sohophoto.com email address
- A chance to get involved with with the operation of the gallery, take on a project and give back
- The opportunity to hang with a cohort of 100 accomplished photographers, step up your game, and improve your skills and vision as a photographer!
We’re a volunteer-run gallery. Membership requires your participation in managing your shows and pitching in to help run the gallery. Responsibilities include:
- Arranging for the transport of your work to and from the gallery
- Framing, hanging, and removing your show
- Sitting, or arranging for sitting in order to keep the gallery open, especially during your exhibition
- Participating in one or more gallery committees/groups (e.g. Member Recruitment, Competitions, Fundraising). Some functions can be conducted remotely.
Plus one-time US$200.00 building fee
Young Artist Membership
US$250.00/year (35 years of age or younger)
Plus a one-time US$200.00 building fee
For those who find the cost of membership dues challenging, a limited number of stipends for a reduced membership fee are available. If you are interested, please contact Linda Hacker using the form below for more information.
Payment of fees are due upon acceptance to Soho Photo Gallery.
2022 Portfolio Review Dates
January 8, 2022
February 5, 2022
March 5, 2022
April 2, 2022
May 7, 2022
June 4, 2022
July 9, 2022
August 6, 2022
Sept 10, 2022
October 1, 2022
November 5, 2022
December 3, 2022
The Application Process
The Portfolio Submission page details what should be in your portfolio, your artist statement and entry fee.
Portfolios are reviewed by gallery members starting at 10:00 am on the first Saturday of every month. Please have your portfolio in the gallery before 10:00 am.
Along with your portfolio submission, Soho Photo Gallery requires a US$50.00 non-refundable application fee. If approved for membership, the application fee will be credited towards your first year’s dues.
Once you determined which date you plan to submit your portfolio, please notify Linda Hacker using the contact form below.